What makes GeoGebra special, is our Community. Without the Community, GeoGebra is just a software. A very good software, but not so special as it can be with you all. As you all know, the GeoGebraTube is not yet one year old and there are more than 12000 materials uploaded. This is only possible with you.
In the following series, we are going to introduce some special members of our community, the GeoGebra Ambassadors. Our Ambassadors are special members of the community.
Meet the first member of the GeoGebra Ambassador team:
Who are you, what are you doing?
I am Guillermo P. Bautista Jr. I work at the University of the Philippines National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development (UP NISMED). Our Institute is involved in teacher training, curriculum materials development, and educational research.
My work in our Institute focuses on the integration of computers in teaching mathematics. I use GeoGebra and other software to promote teaching through problem solving.
When did you first try GeoGebra?
I first tried GeoGebra in 2005. Since then, I have used it in numerous trainings, seminars, and workshops.
What do you hate in GeoGebra?
GeoGebra applets load slowly in some browsers. There are times that the applets do not load at all in old computers.
What do you love in GeoGebra?
In my blog post, 15 reasons why GeoGebra is successful, I have enumerated what I love about GeoGebra. Below are some of my reasons.
- It is FREE.
- It is open source and developed collaboratively by us: programmers, teachers, mathematicians, and users – not just a few people.
- It runs in multiple operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.).
- It runs in different devices (computers, mobile phones, tablets).
- It highlights mathematical connections (algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, etc.).
What are the GeoGebra related activities you participate?
- I have been involved in integrating GeoGebra in our Institute’s teacher trainings here in the Philippines since 2006.
- Our Institute has offered short-term courses for pre-service and in-service teachers. I served as one of the lecturers.
- I am one of the key persons who pushed through the establishment of the GeoGebra Institute of Metro Manila, the GeoGebra Institute here in our country.
- I have written more than 50 GeoGebra tutorials in my blog and have developed more than 200 applets.
- I have used and promoted GeoGebra in my presentations in conferences and workshops.
[…] introducing Guillermo P. Bautista Jr. yesterday, meet today Sanjay […]